Through IEC Northern Ohio’s nationally recognized apprenticeship program, apprentices learn skills to become qualified journeyman electricians while earning great wages with excellent employee benefits offered by IEC Member Contractors.
Our accredited four-year program is a minimum of 144 classroom hours per year, plus you earn while you learn as an employee of an IEC member contractor. The program is paid in full by the member contractor you work for. The only out-of-pocket expense are the textbook fees.
Why is IEC apprenticeship training an important career opportunity for you? Qualified electricians, certified by the state, are in high demand. Enrolling in our program is the first step toward achieving certification. Certified electricians are paid more per hour, they are better positioned for promotions, and possess a broad range of essential electrical skills necessary to work in the electrical industry.
As a graduate of the IEC apprenticeship program, you earn 33 college credit hours toward an Associate Degree in Technical Studies at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College.
A degree in technical studies can provide a pathway to leadership within a company. The curriculum includes coursework in computer-aided drafting, construction law, project estimating, project management and other construction-related skill sets.
Types of electrician professionals include:
- Construction: Installation of electrical systems for commercial, industrial, institutional and residential applications.
- Service: Troubleshoot, repair and replace electrical systems, perform preventive maintenance and upgrade electrical services and systems.
- Utility: Install and maintain low, medium and high voltage service wiring for commercial, industrial, institutional and residential applications.
- Data: Install and maintain data systems for computer and communications networks and provide integration of phone, data, coaxial and optical fiber cabling.
To apply for the apprenticeship program, you must
- Schedule an appointment with IEC to complete an application for employment with an IEC member contractor
- Pay a $20 non-refundable application fee (cash only)
- Have a valid driver’s license and dependable transportation
- Provide high school transcripts or GED with test scores
- Achieve a passing grade on basic math and reading assessments administered by IEC
Applications are by appointment only: call 513.542.0400. You are required to bring your valid driver’s license, a copy of your high school transcripts or GED with test scores, and the $20 cash application fee.