By becoming a Member of Independent Electrical Contractors of Northern Ohio you will:
- learn more about the electrical contracting industry and ways of building your business.
- keep up with the fast-moving developments in our industry.
- attend meetings where you can earn CEU’s, learn, and exchange ideas with others.
- learn how to better market your business and the products and services you sell.
Because a member of Independent Electrical Contractors of Northern Ohio is regarded, by the public, as an established, professional, safety-conscious, and progressive business.
Because the Association is on the firing line every day 24/7, 365-basis, defending the interest of the electrical industry.
Because, as Theodore Roosevelt once said, “Every man owes a part of his time and money to the business or industry in which he is engaged. No man has a moral right to withhold his support from an organization that is striving to improve conditions.”
Contractor Membership is subject to board approval and is open to any person, firm or corporation engaged in the business of electrical contracting including erecting, installing, repairing, servicing or maintaining electric wiring, devices, appliances or equipment including purchasing from suppliers and selling or furnishing manufactured parts and products.
IEC Northern Ohio provides the following benefits to Contractor Members:
- Training Opportunities:
- Access to our Electrical Apprenticeship Program
- FREE and Significantly Discounted CEU Classes
- IEC is an approved training, provider, by the Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board and The Ohio Board of Building Standards (OCILB)
- Skills Upgrade/Specialized Training through Manufacturer Partnerships
- Safety Training (OSHA 10 and OSHA 30)
- Fire Alarm
- Supervisory & Management
- Manpower Recruitment throughout Northern Ohio
- Referral System
- Manpower Sharing Among Members
- Networking Opportunities
- Established relationship with the Electric League of Ohio and W.R.A.E.I., a division of I.A.E.I. (International Association of Electrical Inspectors)
- Representation on the National Electrical Code and NFPA Correlating Committee
- Government Affairs (Local, State and National), IEC PAC
- Safety Representation – OSHA Safety Alliance
- IEC National Association Membership and National Association Benefits
- National IEC Discount Programs with many national providers
Associate Membership includes manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, specialty services and professional service businesses who sell to contractor members.
Independent Electrical Contractors of Northern Ohio provides the following benefits to Associate Members:
- Networking with contractor owners
- Being highlighted on the IEC Northern Ohio website
- Discounted classes at IEC Northern Ohio
- The opportunity to be a guest speaker at contractor meetings/events
Contractor Member-Only Benefits Include:
A comprehensive list of business services – including shipping, debt collection, and telecommunications services, of which your company can take advantage to save money today!
Code & Safety Information & Representation products include one FREE Safety Manual for all new members (a $150 value)
- IEC represents the industry in development of the National Electrical Code (NEC); National Electrical Safety Code; NEMA, UL, NECA standards, and various regional and national building code conferences
- IEC represents the industry to OSHA, MSHA (Mine Safety & Health Administration) and other federal agencies regulating workplace safety
- Toolbox Talks released each Monday
- Online resources from IEC National Partner, CNA Insurance
- Webinar on how to utilize safety resources on the IEC website
- Jobsite Safety Handbooks
- Posts about safety on IEC social media
Networking & Business Development
- Search engines on the IEC website helps promote and market your company
- Forums enable groups of non-competing contractors to share “best practices” confidentially
- Task forces and committees allow you to work with other members on issues facing the industry and IEC
IEC is constantly on guard, protecting the electrical industry from misguided legislation and overbearing regulations. IEC continues speaking for members on issues that will hurt small business. The result is a better business environment for contractors in Ohio.
Potential customers, partners and employees/apprentices can find you through our member directory.
Apprentice Training IEC’s training program provides knowledge, technical skills, and practical experience necessary to succeed in today’s electrical trade. IEC’s program is regarded as being among the best in the industry, and is recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor and State Apprenticeship Councils across the country.
IEC PRIDE PAC is the federal political action committee (PAC) set up by IEC and is funded entirely through personal donations from IEC members. These contributions are grouped together for greater impact and given to Members of Congress, Congressional candidates, and federal leadership PACs to support the electrical and systems contracting industries and the merit shop philosophy upon which IEC was founded.
Federated Insurance offers insurance protection products and services to meet virtually all the business and personal insurance needs of business owners including Property, Auto, Liability, Umbrella, Life, Disability income, and Annuities, Risk management services, Annual Client Review program, Claims services and Business succession and estate planning (Not all programs available in Ohio).
IEC National Convention
The National Convention is the place to recharge, network and collect information with your business in mind.
Provides each IEC Northern Ohio member one (1) consultation per month by telephone, or one office conference, at no charge. IEC Northern Ohio members have the opportunity to discuss legal issues and resolve general questions and concerns. The consultations and conferences are based on existing knowledge of the attorney without further research and analysis and without review of lengthy legal documents. (Additional services are offered to members on a preferred hourly basis. Court costs, filing fees, and miscellaneous disbursements are to be paid for by the member and itemized by the firm.”
Education and Training
IEC members who upgrade their work skills and knowledge not only keep up with the latest technologies and business techniques but receive other benefits, such as boosting their professional image, increasing their level of expertise, increasing profits and putting themselves at the cutting-edge of the electrical industry. IEC, at the local and national levels, is the leading provider of technical and business education and training for IEC contractors, managers, and other personnel.
SAFETY MANUAL PDF
FREE Safety Manual PDF for all contractor members (a $150 value) – members can download a free digital copy at ieci.org
The Safety Manual Guidelines is a practical guide for owners and management in the techniques of managing safe operations in all aspects of the industry. This 150-page manual is published as a service to this industry by the Independent Electrical Contractors National Safety Committee and is sponsored by CNA.
IEC Northern Ohio also has pocket-sized safety handbooks available for members and their employees – contact chapter staff for more info.
Find a local electrician
Browse a directory of our Contractor or Associate members, or search find an elecrical contractor local to you!